Join Sandia National Laboratories Director Jill Hruby and California Laboratory Vice President Marianne Walck in commemorating the 60th anniversary of Sandia/California.
Saturday, May 21
10 am – 2 pm
2400 First Street, Livermore
Free: No RSVP or tickets required
|11:00 am||Welcome by Jill Hruby|
|11:05 am||Introduction by Marianne Walck|
Elected officials remarks
Congressman: Eric Swalwell
State Senator: Steve Glazer
Assemblymember: Catharine Baker
Alameda County Supervisor: Scott Haggerty
Livermore Mayor: John Marchand
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Deputy Director: Thomas Gioconda.
|11:45 am||History of Sandia and Sandia/California, Marianne Walck|
|12:30 pm||The Perfect Heist, presented by Jarret Lafleur|
|1:00 pm||Cybersecurity: Challenges and Opportunities in the Digital Age, presented by Levi Lloyd|
Technology Displays and Demonstrations
Theater Lobby: 10 am – 2 pm
Learn about Sandia/California’s accomplishments and capabilities.
- An additive manufacturing display with 3-D printed memorabilia giveaways
- Visualizations of flame modeling and measurements, which are enabled by high-performance computing at Sandia’s Combustion Research Facility (CRF)
- An optical engine used in the CRF’s engine optimization research
- A photobioreactor filled with growing algae destined for biofuel and a microscope stage to show algae predators at work
- A demonstration of the SpinDx lab-on-a-disk using non-biological samples
- A cybersecurity booth featuring demonstrations of password cracking, computer forensics, and encryption method comparisons
- Samples of hydrogen-embrittled metals from Sandia’s research to understand and mitigate the effects of hydrogen on different materials
- An overview of the Explosive Destruction System (EDS) including a small-scale model, examples of post-processed hardware, and videos of past EDS missions
- Sandia-developed radiation detection capabilities: R&D 100 award-winning triplet-harvesting plastic scintillators and anti-neutrino reactor monitoring
- A historical overview of Sandia/California and its national security work
- A fuel-cell electric vehicle, courtesy of the California Fuel Cell Partnership, and the Fuel Cell Mobile Light, courtesy of Altergy. (Both displays will be outside in front of the Bankhead Theater.)
STEM Hands-On Exploration Activities
Courtyard: 10 am – 2 pm
Explore scientific concepts through hands-on activities from our Family Science Night and Expanding Your Horizon programs.
- Copper-tape LED circuits
- Infrared camera
Courtyard: 10 am – 2 pm
Sandia/California is proud of our partnerships with the Livermore Valley Joint Unified School District, Las Positas College, and other educators. Visit our showcase of engineering projects from Livermore High School.